Friday, May 14, 2010

are you my mother?

My mother has been driving me insane, thus causing me to question my like-ness to her, and of course the ill-fated question: Am I turning into my mother? (note: upon typing this, my mother walks by my open door and says, "Don't talk about me online"...holy crow, how did she KNOW?) Now, I love my mother don't get me wrong (and I would not be here without her, well maybe~got to love science and invitro-fertilization!) but I am becoming more and more aware of her personality traits (and the reasons why I moved out of the house in the first place).

Based upon simple Mendelian genetics, I should be an easy combination of 23 chromosomes from mom, and 23 from dad (thus making me half of my mother). But I do not want to be even half of my mother, and of course we all know that genetics is just not that simple. Are the random combinations of my genes still making me turn out like Mom? Or is this just a case of nurture vs. nature? If I was raised completely by Dad, would I still end up just like my adult mother? I've recently noticed a few similarities between us: the nagging tones that she uses on Dad are the same that I use on my loved one; our desire to save the world by recycling; our want to feed everyone and everything (even if they are not hungry)....the list continues. However, is my want of NOT wanting to be mother able to deter my genes from allowing me to become her? Or do I have to try even harder? Is there a way that I can mentally change the physiology of my genes (or do I just have to hope that certain genes just do not show phenotypically)?

I know that I am part my mother, at least physically. I have inherited her eyes, nose, hip structure, and the brca-1 gene. But what I am talking about are the personality traits: the clumsiness, the rudeness, the curtness, etc... do we inherit our personalities from our parents? If that is the case, can we control it? Or would this be capable in the future as technology with gene manipulation increases? I hope so. Even though it sounds kind of creepy, would it not be amazing if I could pick my kids personality? For instance, have them be creative, kind, intelligent...or just get rid of the chance of them having O.C.D., stuttering, being rude, or even get rid of the serial killer gene? (think about Jack the Ripper's mom...) I would have chosen my dad's ability to be polite, funny, and ability to do math (I've already inherited his love of the written word, and sci-fi/fantasy). From Mom, her artistic talent, and her desire to eat healthy, along with her willingness to exercise religiously. But, I am leaving a lot of my personality to chance if I only pick a few things from each of my parents, or is this the point or the limitation of the inheritance of your personality?

There is much research out there in this topic, however it just comes down to whatever you believe in the constant argument to nature vs. nurture. http://wilderdom.com/personality/L7-2EvolutionPersonality.html

Personally, I just want to inherit the best of Mom and Dad, and leave the worst out of the equation....so, "here's lookin' at you, kid"

1 comment:

  1. It has taken me a while to respond to your blog. A) I really didn't know why but I thought some else would comment before me.
    B) I have been having some these same thoughts that you have about becoming like my mother and nature VS. nurture. However, you know more about the scientific explanation than I do. After reading it, it made my brain work harder.

    My husband has often pointed out characteristics in my personality that I did not appreciate or like..the reason being is because all I could think about was : My mother does that! Omg, I am turning into her. The thing I promised myself I would not do. Sometimes I guess we can try to re program our brains not ,to do a certain behavior or say certain things but then things "just happen". We say and do things our personalities would not normally do. Is that because of our parents ? I have been hardcore determined not to be like my mother. Ok. I have said that alot. Ali this topic is very interesting. I am into it. I think you should do more research into it, or write a paper on it. he he he. Some parts of life or hard to explain or define. I like to think we can create our own path despite the way we grew up or the way our genes are bonded together.
    I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete