Thursday, May 27, 2010

Febreze?


How does Febreze work? I know that the ads say that it traps the smell molecules and gets rid of the odors....but how? I mean febreze comes out as a liquid (it has a scent itself) and then by the time it dries, there is no scent. Where does the scent molecules go?
After it dries, it would make sense that the molecules are in the air, but then how come it does not smell like it did BEFORE using the febreze? I must figure this out, my mom brought up the topic; and for once I did not have a good answer or explanation...like I could not even deduce an explanation that would even partially make sense...

explanation for this random thought about frebreze: I let my dogs play in the creek by the house, and now the ENTIRE house smells like wet dogs...

Time to go the INTERNET!!

2 comments:

  1. I have often wondered this myself, I used Febreze today and it seems as though it only masks the odor for a little while and then the smells fades away. I even tried the pet kind for the room with the cat litter in it.

    Frebreze candles do not last as long as they say they do either. What is the deal with these products ?

    Out of desperation I tried to kill a LARGE Scary looking beetle by spraying it with the only thing I could find lying around..febreze. It did absolutely nothing and I think the bug is dead, or at least I hope it is...because Dutchess attacked it!

    If your house still smells like dog try cleaning the carpet with resolve. That works pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured this out a while ago, and then I realized that I never posted the answer. Basically the chemical formula/structure of the febreze molecule integrates and holds the scent particles inside it. As it integrates the scent molecules it changes the structure of the scent molecules and therefore it can no longer smell. It's actually a pretty cool bit of science, however the chemistry involved is WAY advanced...

    ReplyDelete